This is our community.
We're a society of artists and makers and dreamers. A place for students to learn, grow and thrive, and a playground for discovery and innovative exploration. Welcome. We'd love for you to join us.
We offer the following undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch): A five-year, NAAB-accredited undergraduate professional architecture degree
- Bachelor of Architecture (B.A. in Architecture): A four-year, pre-professional undergraduate architecture degree
- BXA Intercollege Degree Program: A four-year interdisciplinary degree program between architecture and another college. (BXA degrees are not accredited professional degrees; therefore, they do not meet the educational requirement for professional architecture licensure.)
- Bachelor of Humanities and Arts (BHA)
- Bachelor of Science and the Arts (BSA)
- Bachelor of Computer Science and the Arts (BCSA)
Our admission process: an overview
A joint admission committee consisting of both the Office of Admission and the School of Architecture evaluates the qualifications of architecture applicants. Undergraduate application to the School of Architecture is a two-part process:
- Apply to the university through the Office of Undergraduate Admission using the Common Application. The university's admission office receives and evaluates all materials submitted as part of the Common Application to Carnegie Mellon University and the School of Architecture. University admission requirements can be found on the Office of Admission website, here.
- Continue your application to the School of Architecture by submitting the Architecture Portfolio using SlideRoom. Details about the submission and review of the portfolio submission can be found within the Architecture section of the College of Fine Arts Admission website this Fall 2018.
The School of Architecture admission committee will review your portfolio submission along with the application materials already received and evaluated by the Office of Admission committee.
To be offered admission to a BXA Intercollege Degree Program with an interest in architecture, you must be admitted to both the School of Architecture and the other college represented by the "X": Computer Science (CS), Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences (H), or the Mellon College of Science (S). If you are interested in the BXA Intercollege Degree Programs, please visit the Office of Undergraduate Admission website to learn more about their admission process, here.
How to apply: step by step
Before beginning your application, please be sure to visit the Office of Undergraduate Admission website to review both the Carnegie Mellon University application and School of Architecture submission requirements for admission and their respective deadlines. The following steps are required for all B.Arch, B.A., and BXA applicants:
- Start by beginning the Common Application. Identify Carnegie Mellon University as one of "My Colleges." Once you indicate that you are applying to CMU, you will automatically be directed to additional CMU-specific questions. This is also where you will indicate the School of Architecture as the undergraduate program to which you are applying by selecting: a) College - "College of Fine Arts" and b) Department/School - "School of Architecture."
- Submit to SlideRoom the Architecture Portfolio.
- You are strongly recommended to register to participate in a formal On-Campus Review of your portfolio or design project submission.
About your Architecture Portfolio submission
As a School of Architecture applicant, you must submit the Architecture Portfolio by uploading your work to Carnegie Mellon’s secure SlideRoom portal by the submission deadline of January 15 for Regular Decision and Transfer (or November 1 for Early Decision). Only portfolios submitted to SlideRoom will be reviewed; physical portfolios will not be accepted. Please review our portfolio guidelines.
Presenting Your Architecture Portfolio in Person
After you have submitted your application to Carnegie Mellon, you can schedule a formal On-Campus Review of your Architecture Portfolio submission before the registration deadline of January 1 for Regular Decision and Transfer (or November 1 for Early Decision). On-Campus Reviews are scheduled on specific dates and are conducted only on the Carnegie Mellon campus. They are not required but are strongly recommended. An On-Campus Review enables you to meet with a member of our faculty for a fifteen-minute interview, engage with current students, and tour our facilities. To arrange an On-Campus Review, you must register for a Fine Arts Architecture Review online (registration will be available in October 2018).
Dates and deadlines to remember
August 2018 – Common Application available. Select the School of Architecture as the program(s) to which you intend to apply. Indicate whether you will be applying for Early Decision, Regular Decision, or Transfer.
September 2018 – Carnegie Mellon Supplement available. Continue your application by reviewing and submitting the additional application materials required for your application to the School of Architecture at Carnegie Mellon University.
October 2018 – SlideRoom portfolio submission website is available. Select the School of Architecture portal in SlideRoom to upload your creative work for the Architecture Portfolio.
November 1, 2018 – Common Application deadline for Early Decision
November 1, 2018– Registration deadline for Early Decision On-Campus Review
November 1, 2018 (11:59pm EDT) – Architecture Portfolio submission deadline to SlideRoom
November 2018 (date TBD) – Early Decision On-Campus Review of the Architecture Portfolio submission
Mid-December 2018 – Early Decision admission decisions posted
February 1, 2019 – Early Decision Fall 2019 enrollment deposit deadline
REGULAR DECISION OR TRANSFER
January 1, 2019 – Common Application deadline for Regular Decision or Transfer
January 1, 2019 – Registration deadline for On-Campus Review
January 15, 2019 (11:59pm EST) – Architecture Portfolio submission deadline to SlideRoom
January 2019 (dates TBD) – On-Campus Reviews of the Architecture Portfolio submission
Late-March 2019 – Admission decisions posted online
Early-April 2019 – Admission letters received by mail
May 1, 2019 – Fall 2018 enrollment deposit deadline
More about your application
Applicants can track their Carnegie Mellon application status online through the Office of Undergraduate Admission's Where Am I In the Process website or by contacting the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
For questions about the School of Architecture, the Architecture Portfolio submission, or the architecture On-Campus Reviews, please contact the school's Assistant Director of Studio-Based Programs, Alexis McCune Secosky, at firstname.lastname@example.org.