This is our community.
We're a society of artists and makers and dreamers.
A place for students to learn, grow and thrive,
and a playground for discovery and innovative exploration. Welcome. We'd love for you to join us.
We offer the following undergraduate degrees:
- Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch): A five-year, NAAB-accredited undergraduate professional architecture degree
- BXA Intercollege Degree Program: A four-year interdisciplinary degree program between architecture and another college. (BXA degrees are not accredited professional degrees; therefore, they do not meet the educational requirement for professional architecture licensure.)
- Bachelor of Humanities and Arts (BHA)
- Bachelor of Science and the Arts (BSA)
- Bachelor of Computer Science and the Arts (BCSA)
Our admission process: an overview
A joint admission committee consisting of both the Office of Admission and the School of Architecture evaluates the qualifications of architecture applicants. Undergraduate application to the School of Architecture is a two-part process:
- Apply to the university through the Office of Undergraduate Admission using the Common Application. The university's admission office receives and evaluates all materials submitted as part of the Common Application to Carnegie Mellon University and the School of Architecture. University admission requirements can be found on the Office of Admission website, here.
- Continue your application to the School of Architecture by submitting either the Architecture Portfolio or the Architecture Design Project (using cmu.SlideRoom.com). Details about the submission and review of the portfolio or design project submission can be found within the Architecture section of the College of Fine Arts Admission website, here.
The School of Architecture admission committee will review your portfolio or design project submission along with the application materials already received and evaluated by the Office of Admission committee.
To be offered admission to a BXA Intercollege Degree Program with an interest in architecture, you must be admitted to both the School of Architecture and the other college represented by the "X": Computer Science (CS), Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences (H), or the Mellon College of Science (S). If you are interested in the BXA Intercollege Degree Programs, please visit the Office of Undergraduate Admission website to learn more about their admission process, here.
How to apply: step by step
Before beginning your application, please be sure to visit the Office of Undergraduate Admission website to review both the Carnegie Mellon University application and School of Architecture submission requirements for admission and their respective deadlines. The following steps are required for all B.Arch and BXA applicants.
- Start by beginning the Common Application. Identify Carnegie Mellon University as one of "My Colleges." Once you indicate that you are applying to CMU, you will automatically be directed to additional CMU-specific questions. This is also where you will indicate the School of Architecture as the undergraduate program to which you are applying by selecting: a) College - "College of Fine Arts" and b) Department/School - "School of Architecture."
- For Fall 2017 admission, CMU requires all School of Architecture applicants to submit two SAT Subject Test scores: 1) either Math Level I or II, and 2) either Physics or Chemistry. If you haven't yet scheduled your SAT Subject Tests, register now to take the tests on the October, November, or December dates. Starting for Fall 2018, subject tests will no longer be required for admission to the School of Architecture.
- Submit to cmu.slideroom.com one of the following two options for review by the Architecture admission committee: a) the Architecture Portfolio or 2) the Architecture Design Project, downloaded here.
- You are strongly recommended to register to participate in a formal On-Campus Review of your portfolio or design project submission.
About your Architecture Portfolio or Design Project submission
As a School of Architecture applicant, you must submit the Architecture Portfolio or the Architecture Design Project by uploading your work to Carnegie Mellon’s secure SlideRoom portal by the submission deadline of January 15 for Regular Decision and Transfer (or November 1 for Early Decision). You may select the option to complete the Architecture Design Project if you have limited or no work to submit as an architecture portfolio. Only portfolios or design projects submitted to SlideRoom will be reviewed; physical portfolios will not be accepted.
Architecture portfolio or design project submissions are evaluated equally; please choose which you wish to submit (you should not submit both). The admission committee will review only one submission per applicant. Please review our portfolio guidelines, or download the Architecture Design Project.
Presenting Your Architecture Portfolio or Design Project in Person
After you have submitted your application to Carnegie Mellon, you can schedule a formal On-Campus Review of your Architecture Portfolio or the Architecture Design Project submission before the registration deadline of January 1 for Regular Decision and Transfer (or November 1 for Early Decision). On-Campus Reviews are scheduled on specific dates and are conducted only on the Carnegie Mellon campus. They are not required but are strongly recommended. An On-Campus Review enables you to meet with a member of our faculty for a fifteen-minute interview, engage with current students, and tour our facilities. To arrange an On-Campus Review, you must register for a Fine Arts Architecture Review online, here.
Dates and deadlines to remember
August 2016 – Common Application available. Select the School of Architecture as the program(s) to which you intend to apply. Indicate whether you will be applying for Early Decision, Regular Decision, or Transfer.
September 2016 – Carnegie Mellon Supplement available. Continue your application by reviewing and submitting the additional application materials required for your application to the School of Architecture at Carnegie Mellon University.
October 2016 – cmu.SlideRoom.com available. Select the appropriate School of Architecture portal in SlideRoom to either upload your creative work for the Architecture Portfolio or download the instructions, here, to complete and submit the Architecture Design Project.
November 1, 2016 – Common Application deadline for Early Decision
November 1, 2016 – Registration deadline for Early Decision On-Campus Review
November 1, 2016 (11:59pm EDT) – Architecture Portfolio or Architecture Design Project submission deadline to SlideRoom
November 13, 2016 – Early Decision On-Campus Review of the Architecture Portfolio or Architecture Design Project submission
Mid-December – Early Decision admission decisions posted
February 1, 2017 – Early Decision Fall 2017 enrollment deposit deadline
REGULAR DECISION OR TRANSFER
January 1, 2017 – Common Application deadline for Regular Decision or Transfer
January 1, 2017 – Registration deadline for On-Campus Review
January 22 and 29, 2017 – On-Campus Reviews of the Architecture Portfolio or Architecture Design Project submission
Late-March – Admission decisions posted online
Early-April – Admission letters received by mail
May 1, 2017 – Fall 2017 enrollment deposit deadline
More about your application
Applicants can track their Carnegie Mellon application status online through the Office of Undergraduate Admission's Where Am I In the Process website or by contacting the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
For questions about the School of Architecture, the Architecture Portfolio or SoA Design Project submission, or the architecture On-Campus Reviews, please contact the school's Coordinator of Student Programs, Alexis McCune Secosky, at firstname.lastname@example.org.