Master of Architecture (M.Arch)
Application Requirements & Process
Before our online application opens in October:
- Review the M.Arch program information;
- The GRE exam is optional and not required (applicants can provide their scores if they wish);
- Take the TOEFL exam if you are a non-native English speaker;
- Prepare a personal essay (1000-1500 words) that includes a biographical narrative describing your background experience and a statement of purpose outlining why CMU is a good fit for your future aspirations;
- Complete a 25-30 page portfolio to upload as one PDF document (no more than 20MB in size, 150 dpi - no exceptions) to be uploaded to your application in SlideRoom; and
- Ask three professors or employers permission to assign them as references.
BEGINNING October 15:
Begin your online application by completing all application forms, uploading supporting documents, and submitting your portfolio. You do not have to complete all sections of the online application at once. You can revisit your Carnegie Mellon School of Architecture application in SlideRoom until the final submission of your application. Please be sure to submit your application by the application deadline.
Complete applications will be evaluated as they are received. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit complete applications well in advance of the January 15 application deadline for evaluation by our graduate admission committee.
Before our application deadline of JANUARY 15:
- GRE scores are optional and not required. If you wish to provide GRE scores, contact Education Testing Services to send your GRE scores (and TOEFL scores) directly to our department, using the institution code 2074, GRE department code 4401, and TOEFL department code 12.
- Request unofficial transcripts from each institution you have attended. (Official Transcripts will be requested once an applicant has been offered admission and prior to enrollment.)
- Assign three references to your application.
- Upload the following:
- Copy of optional GRE scores if you wish to provide them
- Copy of TOEFL scores (if needed)
- Copy of transcript(s)
- Personal Essay
- Portfolio (maximum file size of 20MB with a maximum resolution of 150dpi)
- Pay the $75 application fee.
- Verify that you have completed all of the above. Our graduate committee will only review your application once we have received all required documents.